Sunday, June 19, 2005

Why can't I do small talk ? It is an embarrassing disability. I have tried to learn it and I can fake it a good amount of the time now. But I have just been out to post a paperletter and I met our neighbour. The only sentence I said was 'Yes, it's great' in response to her 'It's a nice day isn't it ?'. Everything else I said was either a 'yes' or 'no'.

'Are you out for a walk ?'
'Yes'
It's nice to get out on your own, isn't it?'
'Yes'

That sort of thing.

ARGH !!!!!

If I'd had a few minutes (and possibly a pint) between questions I'm sure I could have said something friendly and neighbourly, possibly witty and interesting even. But as it is I merely appeared as a limp-brained, letter-posting automaton*. Sooner or later the 'I've just had a baby' excuse is going to run out and what then, I ask you???? WHAT THEN???????

*Automatons. Do they have brains ?

No comments: