Friday, August 11, 2006

Superman Returns

And so do I, to the cinema that is. My first outing to the magical world of movies since Ana was born 19 months ago. But I did have to see this one, having been an enormous fan (take that as you will; both 'enormous' and 'possessing a fanhood of great proportion') of the original movies and slightly nervous (having purchased said originals on DVD when Ana was born for indoctrinative purposes) about the return.

Well, it was really ok. And that's a compliment. I liked Spacey as Lex Luther very much (which is good because I hate him in most roles apart from the American Beauty one). And Superman no longer looks like my dad, but this is no bad thing as truly, my dad no longer looks like my dad (if you asked me to describe him I can see him in my head with black black hair. In reality there ain't that much hair to be going on with, and it ain't so black). And the story was OK apart from a little needless weirdness surrounding Lois' (fairly redundant) husband.

Before I went to see it I watched the first Superman movie with Ana. It was so great. It has been much longer than I realised since I saw it last. I was surprised to find Marlon Brando as Jor-L. That's how long it's been! And another thing I noticed was the likeness of the scene where Clark contemplates leaving home as he stands in the field with his mother to the painting by Millet known as 'The Angelus'. The scene is worth checking out again for this reason if you missed the reference. I could be making it up of course, but even so (who cares?) it is fitting and sort of quietly beautiful in a way that the new film never quite approaches.

Just got to get my kid to like the old ones now....

4 comments:

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

"They are great people, they need to be, they only need the light to show the way - for this reason, above all, their capacity for good, I have sent you, my only son."

Mr Brando could have been mistaken for the gospels. I remember the good Dr once recalling to me that Superman doesn't always use his own strength, but rather enables others to make the right decisions...i like that, just wish i paid more attention so as to make them...

...glad you returned

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

not sure why my original comment isn't showing on your counter, but when you click on comments it's there! What's that about then?

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

and now they are both there! my turn to repay the compliment of lots of comments by one person....sorry

Ed said...

God bless archive appearances ;)