Sunday, September 17, 2006

We Come to the Table

It is funny how things collide. I used to think it must be God when you read something at random, written by someone you never met, expressing your own thoughts, sometimes in the same way you had thought them. Maybe that is 'god' in some ways. I think it is definitely why people bother to read in any case. I think it also why people bother with other people. And why other people sometimes bother us quite so much.

So a friend sent me this poem this morning and it goes somewhere in the Venn diagram where my self and everyone else's selves intersect. This is how god is for me at the minute. And having written a lot for myself lately regarding the eucharist I am starting to imagine a way of writing it down for those other selves. Probably on this blog at some point.

The Vast Ocean Begins Just Outside Our Church: The Eucharist
by Mary Oliver

Something has happened
to the bread
and the wine.

They have been blessed.
What now?
The body leans forward

to receive the gift
from the priest's hand,
then the chalice.

They are something else now
from what they were
before this began.

I want
to see Jesus
maybe in the clouds

or on the shore,
just walking,
beautiful man

and clearly
someone else
besides.

On the hard days
I ask myself
if I ever will.

Also there are times
my body whispers to me
that I have.

2 comments:

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

the last great mystery our faith has....

Rainbow dreams said...

I may just have to look up more of Mary Olivers work, thanks