Friday, February 23, 2007

Oh, the water

For Tarticus; thanks for this.

Sometimes things come together in such minute ways as to give you just enough of a glimpse of grace to keep on keepin' on.

Last night I finished reading Frederick Buechner's 'The Storm'. It is hard for me to describe what kept me reading this book to the finish. I think it mainly had to do with the writer's undoubted affection for his main character. It was not the best story I had ever read but there was something of real human care in every line that made it feel worth going on to the next. As if it was just a story, unremarkable as most of our stories are, but unique as they are too, and therefore remarkable enough to be worth sharing and listening to.

It is very much worth getting to the end of The Storm.

It is raining today and I drove home with Van Morrison singing something incomprehensible about jelly roll (someone explain this to me, please!) and there was that little moment of peace; a shadow cast from the future where things comes together and make sense.

4 comments:

jdaviddark said...

Oh The Storm. So much to like. Sarah and I read that to each other out loud one time. Had me thinking hard about attempting any number of novelistic Shakespeare adaptations. Oh intentions.
Did it "stone" him in a manner similar to that in which Jelly Roll, in some previous instance, also "stoned" him? That's what I always assumed. Not that I understand either. You're the one breathing Van the Man's air after all. i only did it that one time at Ulster Hall.

mister tumnus said...

it was 'jelly roll' that had me confuddled. ian explained. i was thinking of some freakish (possibly spiked with marijuana) dessert.

i haven't read the tempest but i feel like i might give it a go pretty soon. wouldn't it be ace if someone made a great movie version of king lear? i mean another one (the peter brook lear is brilliant). but you know, something a bit different.... and who would play lear?....

The Father said...

JDD I'm disappointed - we are breathing vans air but most of his musical influences are on your side of the pond .I think Van is referring to Jelly Roll Morton - legendary american jazz composer. Album Jelly Roll Blues was a big influence on him.

mister tumnus said...

yep, that's what ian said too. some jazz bloke called jelly roll. cruel, cruel parents....