Wednesday, June 06, 2007

There's Magic in the Night....

If you've got a minute please have a look at the video opposite.

I've been looking for this song for ages but all I can find is a video. Does anyone know if it's on an album somewhere?

So, so lovely.

Nick Hornby said this:

'Maybe the reason Thunder Road has sustained me for years is that, despite its energy and volume and fast cars and hair, it somehow manages to sound elegiac, and the older I get the more I can hear that. When it comes down to it, I suppose that I too believe that life is momentous and sad but not destructive of all hope, and maybe that makes me a self-dramatizing depressive, or maybe it makes me a happy idiot, but either way Thunder Road knows how I feel and who I am, and that, in the end, is one of the consolations of art.'

I hear ya Nick. This version of the song does it for me.

So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me

3 comments:

rocinante said...

i love that:

you ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright...

ooohh, the very nerve! but you can hear the cheeky twinkle in his eye. what a flirt!

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

The writer Eric Alterman asked a few members of various online discussion groups to answer the question, as succinctly as possible, why does Bruce Springsteen matter? Here are the first five answers he received:

• “He makes me feel like I belong in this world.”
• “Bruce Springsteen’s art keeps my conscience alive.”
• “He matters to me because he is like my backup heartbeat.”
• “His music creates an internal dialogue that [helps] us discover who we are.”
• “He has opened places in my mind, provided me with music to live my life, given me solace in my grief, provided me with joy for celebrations, introduced me to lifelong friends, raised my blood pressure, increased my heart rate, and added smile lines to my face.”

Let’s not indulge ourselves in artistic deafness, but embrace this everyday apocalypse which fills us with wonder and somehow allows us to glimpse eternity - Bruce and his music have always done this, and by god this is the most beautiful of versions that has made me weep everytime i have watched it....let's roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair, the nights busted open these two lanes will take us anywhere - we got one last chance to make it real....

that invitation for beauty and a better place - that's why he matters

god bless you mr t for finding this breathtaking footage

mister tumnus said...

i can't believe i lived for so long thinking bruce was all about denim jeans and the stars n' stripes. i guess that's what you get for growing up in the 80s! at the concert i saw in dublin the first song he did was an acoustic version of 'born in the USA' and i was immediately converted... suddenly it all made sense....